So I took the plunge, and after thinking about where to start (and dabbling with Philip Pullman Dark Materials Trilogy) I chanced around David Walliams. When I was doing my work experience in schools, the year 5 teacher had Awful Auntie on their desk, and the children were really excited about her reading it to them. Always a good sign!! So here it is...
Now I love David Walliams in his own right, so I was quite excited about reading his books and seeing what the fuss was all about.
Well I wasn't disappointed. For a children's book it had me hooked, and although it didn't take me long to read I had that struggle of reading VS real life that you get when you are gripped with a book. Shall I read some more, or should I go to sleep as its midnight and I need to be up in the morning type of struggle.
The main characters in this book were Stella, Aunt, Wagner and the ghost boy - no Raj this time! This story of the book is based on Aunt's cunning plans to get rid of Stella and her parents so that she can have Saxby hall all to herself. Through the book she is responsible for the death of Stella's parents, and it turns out her own brother many years earlier and now has her sights set on Stella who is the last hurdle to overcome before her plan is complete. With the help of Wagner the owl, the Aunt even goes as far as to torture Stella to try and get her own way.
As the first book of Walliams that I have read, I was pleasantly surprised by his writing style, as it 'pitched' itself at children and adults level. His use of the narrator story telling style was nice as well, it reminded me of Lemony Snickets books. The pictures through the book added a nice break from the story, although I didn't feel the pictures were needed to grasp the characters as the descriptions in the book were very good but they were a nice addition.
The main characters in this book were Stella, Aunt, Wagner and the ghost boy - no Raj this time! This story of the book is based on Aunt's cunning plans to get rid of Stella and her parents so that she can have Saxby hall all to herself. Through the book she is responsible for the death of Stella's parents, and it turns out her own brother many years earlier and now has her sights set on Stella who is the last hurdle to overcome before her plan is complete. With the help of Wagner the owl, the Aunt even goes as far as to torture Stella to try and get her own way.
As the first book of Walliams that I have read, I was pleasantly surprised by his writing style, as it 'pitched' itself at children and adults level. His use of the narrator story telling style was nice as well, it reminded me of Lemony Snickets books. The pictures through the book added a nice break from the story, although I didn't feel the pictures were needed to grasp the characters as the descriptions in the book were very good but they were a nice addition.
In general a really good book, and I loved the story. Will no doubt be reading it again, as I whizzed through the first time.

No comments:
Post a Comment