So onto the next book in the Walliams series that I have bought - Ratburger.
This is a story of Stella who lives with her evil stepmother, and absent alcoholic father. She has an affinity to small furry creatures, and training them to do wonderful tricks and stunts. After the demise of her pet hamster, she comes across a wild baby rat - eventually naming him Armitage (don't ask why, its a long story).
Stella's life isn't as easy as it sounds though, as she has to deal with her wicken stepmum and Tina Trotts who takes pleasure in bullying Stella and gobbing in her hair on a regular basis. Things come to a head when Stella is suspended from school for bringing Armitage in, and is locked in her room. After a visit from the 'exterminator' - evil Burt who also runs the local burger van, Stella refuses to give up Armitage. She finds out later for good reason, as Burt is making them into his RATBURGERS!!! Bleurgh!!! Finally Stella managed to enlist her fathers help, and the pair of them defeat Burt and her stepmother (who planned to run away with Burt and eat prawn and cocktail crisps forever), and she even reconciles with Tina Trott.
I found this book a little more difficult to get into than the others. It was easy to put down, and got left halfway read for about 2 weeks. The story is similar to the others in terms of good vs evil, someone dies at the end etc but it felt a bit 'silly' compared to the others, and whilst as an adult I enjoyed the other stories, this one was a bit too young for me and I think thats why I struggled to engage in it. I would image though, younger readers would love this, as its a bit gorey, yukky and naughty and would appeal to their yuk factor.

No comments:
Post a Comment